There are always lonely apples that just get a bit too sad to put in the lunch box. Desserts are requested, but often packed with unhelpful high GI sugars and pre-bedtime consumption never helps with sleep! So this good old recipe is one that can solve waste, sleep and sweet requests all in one hit.
To top it off, the kids can get involved and put their own preferences on their apple ingredients. Minutes to prepare and is easy to put on a timer in the oven while you eat dinner, there is a lot to love about a baked apple.
- Apple corer
- Baking tray or pan
- Measuring cups
- Mixing bowls and spoons
- 4 green apples, whole and cored
- Juice from one lemon
- 1/3 cup sultanas
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Core apples, place in a baking dish or tray and put lemon juice into the cored hole.
3. Mix all other ingredients and spoon into apple holes.
4. Cover with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes.
5. Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes more.
6. Serve warm and you can top your juicy baked apples with custard or caramel sauce.
This recipe was developed by Tanya Nagy founder of Bite Nutrition. If you would like a copy of Tanya's recipe books, head to her website and use the code ‘CareforKids'. Each user will receive a ‘buy one get one free' offer on the books – either fruit or veg or both.
Use this code twice per order but keep in mind, you may only use it once per customer!